advictoriam

Victoria Reads Books

Global citizen, adventurer, ponderer. Lover of coffee, books, and the Oxford comma. Infected by wanderlust, enchanted by stories. Might occasionally be a photo blog.

Emma
Sylvan Barnet, Morton Berman, William Burton
Dana Gioia, R.S. Gwynn
Anna Karenina
Leo Tolstoy, Louise Maude, Aylmer Maude, E.B. Greenswood
The Longman Anthology of Short Fiction, Compact Edition: Stories and Authors in Context - Dana Gioia, R.S. Gwynn It amazes me how my opinions about short stories have changed over the years. I used to dislike them, the reason being that they were too brief for me to get to know the characters, to grow to like them, to be able to enthusiastically throw myself into their stories. However, I grew to like them, and hence, this book (which I bought for $1 at a used bookstore), contains many stories that I am looking forward to reading.

To many high school students, short stories are difficult to enjoy simply because they are used in class so often, and are torn apart and scrutinized. I have to admit, there are some stories that I dislike, and I'm still trying to figure out whether it is because of the story itself, or the painfully intense work we did analyzing them (I'm looking at you, 'Boys and Girls' by Alice Munro...). Anyway, I'm reading this anthology for fun. Yay!

Since I don't want to combine the reviews all 84 short stories, I'll provide the links to my reviews below.

The Secret Sharer (Joseph Conrad)
The Necklace (Guy de Maupassant)