advictoriam

Victoria Reads Books

Global citizen, adventurer, ponderer. Lover of coffee, books, and the Oxford comma. Infected by wanderlust, enchanted by stories. Might occasionally be a photo blog.

Emma
Jane Austen
Progress: 230/412 pages
Le Petit Prince
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Eight Great Comedies
Sylvan Barnet, Morton Berman, William Burton
The Longman Anthology of Short Fiction, Compact Edition: Stories and Authors in Context
Dana Gioia, R.S. Gwynn
Anna Karenina
Leo Tolstoy, Louise Maude, Aylmer Maude, E.B. Greenswood
The Necklace and Other Short Stories - Guy de Maupassant *review of The Necklace*

Using relatively unadorned prose, Maupassant manages to invoke frustration, elation, dismay, and resignation during the story, and, depending on how well you managed to connect to the protagonist, an indescribable ache following the final words. This is a simple, straightforward short story that teaches many important lessons- if you know someone whose materialistic desires impair their ability to appreciate what they have, you should recommend this to them. I wouldn't say that I fell in love with the story, but it was short, entertaining, and well written.

This story was a part of an anthology that I own. For reviews of other stories in the anthology, please go here.