advictoriam

Victoria Reads Books

Global citizen, adventurer, ponderer. Lover of coffee, books, and the Oxford comma. Infected by wanderlust, enchanted by stories. Might occasionally be a photo blog.

Emma
Jane Austen
Progress: 230/412 pages
Le Petit Prince
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Eight Great Comedies
Sylvan Barnet, Morton Berman, William Burton
The Longman Anthology of Short Fiction, Compact Edition: Stories and Authors in Context
Dana Gioia, R.S. Gwynn
Anna Karenina
Leo Tolstoy, Louise Maude, Aylmer Maude, E.B. Greenswood
The Outsider - Albert Camus, Joseph Laredo I need to write a French essay about this book. I also need to write a novel comparison of this book and [b:American Psycho|28676|American Psycho|Bret Easton Ellis|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1348400564s/28676.jpg|2270060] for English class, so I am currently writing this review to get thoughts flowing.

(... in all honesty... I'm procrastinating.)

The Stranger/The Outsider/L'Étranger isn't a book to read for its plot. It is intentionally threadbare in order to facilitate the philosophy expressed through this book. The protagonist, Meursault, takes everything as it comes to him, unashamedly and unaffectedly. Society does not understand him, and he does not care. I found this book interesting, but not immensely engrossing. I understood the plot, I understood Camus's intention, and I was entertained by Meursault's voice, but I can't say that I loved this book, or that it was something that inspired a cataclysmic shift in my thinking or lifestyle. That is just me, though; I can see how this book could have a large impact on others. That being said, I found that Part II- especially the final pages of the book- contained the essence of the novel, and skilfully transformed Meursault's frenzied thoughts into his sense of inner peace. I would recommend giving this book a try; despite having little plot, it is short enough to keep your attention, and will give you a taste of some intriguing philosophical ideas.

Sidenote: Meursault is actually pretty sassy. Trying to picture this scene in my head doesn't quite work...

Marie: Do you love me?
Meursault: I don’t think so.

Marie: Marriage is a serious matter.
Meursault: No.

Marie: Would you accept this marriage proposal if it was from another woman with whom you had a similar relationship?
Meursault: Naturally.