advictoriam

Victoria Reads Books

Global citizen, adventurer, ponderer. Lover of coffee, books, and the Oxford comma. Infected by wanderlust, enchanted by stories. Might occasionally be a photo blog.

Emma
Jane Austen
Progress: 230/412 pages
Le Petit Prince
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Eight Great Comedies
Sylvan Barnet, Morton Berman, William Burton
The Longman Anthology of Short Fiction, Compact Edition: Stories and Authors in Context
Dana Gioia, R.S. Gwynn
Anna Karenina
Leo Tolstoy, Louise Maude, Aylmer Maude, E.B. Greenswood
This Is Water - David Foster Wallace description

"The really important kind of freedom involves attention, and awareness, and discipline, and effort, and being able truly to care about other people and to sacrifice for them, over and over, in myriad petty little unsexy ways, every day."

I generally refrain from holding authors in such high regard until I've actually finished one of their works. I'm still working through [b:Infinite Jest|6759|Infinite Jest|David Foster Wallace|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1165604485s/6759.jpg|3271542], although I guess this speech would technically count as one of his works... regardless, David Foster Wallace was undeniably brilliant.

For future reference:

The speech, published in The Guardian on September 20, 2008.
The speech, read aloud by David Foster Wallace.

A full review for this may appear once day... probably after a few dozen more reads, once his words fully sink in. I'm hoping to someday purchase the book as well, or at least see for myself what the format is like.

DFW has the remarkable talent of somehow making you laugh while feeling introspective and somewhat depressed at the same time. I am in awe of him.