advictoriam

Victoria Reads Books

Global citizen, adventurer, ponderer. Lover of coffee, books, and the Oxford comma. Infected by wanderlust, enchanted by stories. Might occasionally be a photo blog.

Emma
Jane Austen
Progress: 230/412 pages
Le Petit Prince
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Eight Great Comedies
Sylvan Barnet, Morton Berman, William Burton
The Longman Anthology of Short Fiction, Compact Edition: Stories and Authors in Context
Dana Gioia, R.S. Gwynn
Anna Karenina
Leo Tolstoy, Louise Maude, Aylmer Maude, E.B. Greenswood
The Seven-Day Target - Natalie Charles Nick Foster and Libby Andrews seem to have moved on from their broken engagement. Libby is an attorney, and Nick now works as an FBI agent in another town. However, when Nick comes back to attend the funeral of Libby's father, he learns that Libby is the target of a serial killer. Despite their past, Nick will do everything in his power to protect Libby and help discover who is behind the plot.

I don't tend to be an avid reader of this genre, but I decided to give this one a shot because of the mystery/suspense plotline. Although there were a few interesting twists, I ultimately had trouble believing many of the characters and the actions that they took. I do not claim to be an expert on criminal investigations, but I would think that the police would assign better protection for a serial killer's target than allowing her to go into hiding with an ex-fiancé (who isn't technically assigned to the job)- especially after the guy that is supposed to be watching her is killed . Libby isn't even doing a very good job of hiding- she is playing a very active role in the investigation itself. I found that Libby's sister Cassie, and Dom, another officer, weren't very believable characters, as they put their pride far ahead of Libby's safety. Libby's lack of caution didn't exactly help either.

I didn't notice anything particularly innovative about the romantic storyline. Two attractive people with a history together (and unfortunate childhoods- one with cancer and the other with child abuse) find themselves working together in the face of danger and rediscover the chemistry they had. It isn't necessarily a bad thing, I just didn't find it memorable. In addition, the romantic dialogue felt slightly stilted: for instance, lines like "You make me want to be a better man", "I can't live without you", "You're all I've ever wanted", and "I've always loved you" in extremely close proximity made the scene feel a bit cliché.

Random sidenote: I do not understand how the catchphrase relates to this book- "Love Never Dies, But Can It Kill"?

Overall, this was a fast-paced and interesting addition to the Harlequin romances. Personally, I wasn't sold on the story, but if romance is your genre of choice, don't be afraid to give this a try.

I received an ARC of this through the Goodreads First Reads program. This has not influenced my opinions about the book in any way.