advictoriam

Victoria Reads Books

Global citizen, adventurer, ponderer. Lover of coffee, books, and the Oxford comma. Infected by wanderlust, enchanted by stories. Might occasionally be a photo blog.

Emma
Jane Austen
Progress: 230/412 pages
Le Petit Prince
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Eight Great Comedies
Sylvan Barnet, Morton Berman, William Burton
The Longman Anthology of Short Fiction, Compact Edition: Stories and Authors in Context
Dana Gioia, R.S. Gwynn
Anna Karenina
Leo Tolstoy, Louise Maude, Aylmer Maude, E.B. Greenswood
Beastly - Alex Flinn I read this novel after watching the movie starring Vanessa Anne Hudgens, Mary-Kate Olsen, Alex Pettyfer, and Neil Patrick Harris, being a fan of the latter two. The movie itself was mediocre, with an unimpressive script and 'okay' acting from most, making the story come across as rather cheesy (NPH was superb, though). However, since cute fairy tales/romances are a bit of a guilty pleasure, I decided to give the book a try.

The book told the story much better than the movie, in my opinion. The story is a modern retelling of Beauty and the Beast. Kyle Kingsbury is the son of a prominent and rich figure in society who doesn't really love him. Kyle is extremely attractive, and uses his looks to get basically anything. He enjoys being cruel to people, and intentionally tries to hurt Kendra, a 'witchy' girl who, turning out to actually be a witch, casts a spell on him, making him a furry monster. She gives him two years to break the spell by falling in love and getting her to kiss him to confirm this.

I have to admit that I found the internet support group very amusing. Members include characters from other fairy tales who have transformed into other things.

Kyle was a strange character. At the beginning, you think, "wow, he's a jerk". Then, as time passes, he becomes very sweet and loses all of what he was before. A bit too much, maybe- he's very obsessed with his roses.

Overall, it was a cute book. It's definitely not for everyone; don't read it if you are looking for a book with a lot of depth and extraordinary prose. However, it was a sweet retelling of a well-loved fairy tale, and gives a modern twist to the 'happily-ever-after'.

Entertainment value- 4.5/5