advictoriam

Victoria Reads Books

Global citizen, adventurer, ponderer. Lover of coffee, books, and the Oxford comma. Infected by wanderlust, enchanted by stories. Might occasionally be a photo blog.

Emma
Jane Austen
Progress: 230/412 pages
Le Petit Prince
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Eight Great Comedies
Sylvan Barnet, Morton Berman, William Burton
The Longman Anthology of Short Fiction, Compact Edition: Stories and Authors in Context
Dana Gioia, R.S. Gwynn
Anna Karenina
Leo Tolstoy, Louise Maude, Aylmer Maude, E.B. Greenswood
Romeo and Juliet and Vampires - Claudia Gabel, William Shakespeare With the growing popularity of 'cross-over' classics ('Pride & Prejudice & Zombies', for example), and the subject of vampires sweeping YA bookshelves everywhere, 'Romeo and Juliet and Vampires' is an amusing clash of both of these worlds. At first, I was a bit apprehensive, as the onslaught of vampire books following 'Twilight' have produced some less-than-amazing novels and series. However, my curiosity got the better of me, and a few hours later, I finished the book.

'Romeo and Juliet and Vampires' tells the tale of two households, not quite alike in dignity, who have been brought to a temporary peace due to a new ruling prince. One family, the Capulets, are, well, vampires. Young Juliet, who is rather disgusted with her family's lifestyle, is to turn into a vampire in a matter of days, and must make a kill and drink the blood of the human to do so, or else she will die. The Montagues, on the other hand, are a family of vampire hunters. Romeo doesn't quite care for the glory of killing vampires, and is in love with Juliet's cousin, Rosaline.

Predictably, Romeo and Juliet meet at a party, fall in love instantly, etc. However, the elimination of the Shakespearean language and the addition of vampires adds additional twists and turns to deviate from the original plotline. I personally thought that this was a good thing.

The writing was not extraordinary, and parts reminded me of some non-exemplary fanfics that I have read. However, the author managed to make me giggle with phrases like;

"If she had known that the nurse had been beckoning her so that she could get verbally assaulted by both her parents, Juliet would have jumped off the balcony and eloped with Romeo right then."

and

"I can only imagine what you must think of me," she said, her voice quite timid. "Now you know I'm a Capulet, and you have seen me talking to myself like an idiot."

Regardless, this was an amusing read, and a bit of light-hearted fun after a year of analyzing the heck out of the original at school. This is my first book reviewed on this site, and I think that this book would interest some, but definitely not all, especially those who don't want to see the original play touched, or don't want a cross-over to deviate too much from the original aside from the 'monster' additions.

So...

Entertainment value: 3.5/5
- this book was interesting, and rather funny at times

Writing quality: 2.5/5
- as I said before, it wasn't exemplary, but had its moments

Characters (development & depth): 2/5
- neither of the protagonists were extremely likable, and I found little depth or development

Plot: 2.5/5
- much of it obviously followed Romeo and Juliet, but some deviations worked, and others didn't

As a sidenote, the preview of the book included, 'Little Vampire Women' didn't really appeal to me that much, and I found that I couldn't even finish the preview.