advictoriam

Victoria Reads Books

Global citizen, adventurer, ponderer. Lover of coffee, books, and the Oxford comma. Infected by wanderlust, enchanted by stories. Might occasionally be a photo blog.

Emma
Jane Austen
Progress: 230/412 pages
Le Petit Prince
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Eight Great Comedies
Sylvan Barnet, Morton Berman, William Burton
The Longman Anthology of Short Fiction, Compact Edition: Stories and Authors in Context
Dana Gioia, R.S. Gwynn
Anna Karenina
Leo Tolstoy, Louise Maude, Aylmer Maude, E.B. Greenswood
House - Neil Gaiman,  Allen Williams Here are some random 1:00 AM ramblings on this poem.

We all want to be understood.

In my interpretation of House, Neil Gaiman uses the scenario of a crudely constructed papier mache head on a hill to portray this want. I think that the papier mache head symbolizes the 'outer self', the side of you that everybody can see, through your physical appearance or physical actions. The polishing eyes/mowing the lawn reminds me of either maintaining a physical appearance- perhaps polishing glasses, perhaps shaving, or could represent the overall care taken to maintain an image. In the rest of the poem, Gaiman describes how people go past the papier mache head on the hill and "they think the house is me". This shows that the people passing never notice the inner self, the essence of a person who makes them who they are- the people only see the face on the outside, what is shown. Everything else remains unnoticed.

I can see your house from here.
With this statement, Gaiman demonstrates how everybody has more depth and more value than what is apparent. This value goes beyond an image that has been projected.

I enjoyed this poem- this poem reminds us to be more aware, and take the time to- as cliche as it sounds- try to look at who someone is on the inside, beyond their physical appearance or actions.